Wednesday 27 April 2011

Jessie J - Unblocked My Writer's Block!

It is usually a common thing for writers to complain about having writers block, fellow writers will know how frustrating it is when you have so much to say but the words get lost in translation or just look like alphabet soup on the page. There comes a moment when you're at your wits end and about to lose control, when you throw on a music album and........

There they are, like sheep being led by their shepherd; as easy as that, the words are coaxed out of me by the sensual yet diverse vocals of Ms. Jessie J infiltrate her debut album Who you are....I am rescued. Like a wave following the motion of its ocean, my words start to flow....and perhaps even overflow.

As a Music Journalist I've always got my ear to the ground trying to seek out who will be the next act to blow, and although I'd seen Jessie J perform several years ago at one of Organics open mic nights (she killed it) I'd actually forgotten about her, up until now that is.

Her album was a pleasant surprise after the first listen, my first impression was how different each song was, each track consisting of creatively compiled lyrics which oozed talent, coupled with an overwhelming vocal range, with a healthy layering of her animated and exuberant character. With this album as an example of her creativeness, Jessie J has definately made her stamp on the UK music scene.

As the UK scene blows up, Jessie emerges as one of the most prolific acts Essex has to offer, illuminating herself as a successful songwriter as well as an astounding vocalist. Penning songs for the likes of Chris Brown and Miley Cyrus, Jessie clearly has a voice and she’s not afraid to make it heard. At 23 the songstress possesses a mature disposition, boldly expressing her life experiences in feel good tracks such as L.O.V.E and Nobody’s Perfect. 

Inspirational tracks such as Who You Are from her album of the same name, encourage its listeners to look within and not to change who they are no matter what situation they are placed in. True to her word, Jessie remains incredibly down to earth despite her chart success which include Do It Like A Dude which reached No.2 in the UK and smash hit Price Tag feat B.O.B which went to No.1 in the UK and in 19 other countries.

Re-affirming my faith in UK music and instigating my creative juices to flow again after a brief writing drought, I feel I have a slight personal connection with this album, each track spoke to me in a different way and told a story that I was able to identify with, whether it was the melodic arrangement, the words or the vocal talent…..all I can say is Who You Are really did help me recapture who I am. Jessie, Nostaljik salute’s you!!

1 comment:

  1. Awww well done, i love the end in particular. Good piece of writing. xxx

    ReplyDelete